What is the ruling on working as a doctor in the army of the kuffaar who are not in a state of war with the Muslims?
Praise be to Allaah.
We put this question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, may Allaah preserve him, with whom we had a conversation which is summarized below:
Shaykh: “Is this so that he may gain experience, or what?”
– “He is a doctor who is treating their sick, but they are not in a state of war.”
Shaykh: “And they are not at war with the Muslims?”
– “It is possible that they may be at war with the Muslims in the future.”
Shaykh: “We do not give the future precedence over the present (i.e., we do not count on that or take it into consideration).”
– “This questioner says, ‘I work in a place where the soldiers are not fighting the Muslims. But it is possible that some of the army may be fighting them in other places, and it is possible that we may be involved in such fighting in the future, but the military bases where I work now are not involved in fighting against the Muslims.’”
Shaykh: “But is this nation (in which this army is) one of those who are fighting the Muslims?”
– “The questioner is working for the American army, he is a Muslim working in America.”
Shaykh: “Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning): ‘Allaah does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion and did not drive you out of your homes. Verily, Allaah loves those who deal with equity.’ [al-Mumtahinah 60:8].”
– “And what if they are not driving us out of our homes, but they are helping others to do so, as mentioned in the next aayah?”
Shaykh: “ ‘It is only as regards those who fought you on account of religion, and have driven you out of your homes, and helped to drive you out, that Allaah forbids you to befriend them…’ [al-Mumtahinah 60:9 – interpretation of the meaning].”
– “So if it is clear to him that these people are helping to drive us out of our homes, for example, would working for them for a salary come under the just and kind treatment mentioned in the aayah?”
Shaykh: “No doubt it does come under that heading.”
– “Even if you are working for money and not as a volunteer?”
Shaykh: “Yes, but they are benefitting from it.”
– “So how may we sum up your answer?”
Shaykh: “This is not permissible unless the nation in whose army he is working is not fighting the Muslims.”
– “And not driving them out of their homes or helping others to do so?”
And Allaah knows best.
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid